Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

GaR oN tHe Fly

Gar on the fly

How can you resist a fish that leaps out of the water and fights until you release him? In many places gar have been labeled as a "trash fish", so far from the truth. I've heard many different reasons to why its considered a trash fish and not one is true. Gar will eagerly take a fly, the only problem is hooking up. A lot of people use rope or other like material that get tangled in their teeth. Effective none the less but it's too much trouble getting it out of those sharp teeth for me. I use gama stinger hooks in 1/0 or 2/0, and I don't have any problems getting hooked up. As for the flies white and chartreuse are my go to fly.
Sight fishing is the way to go. When casting to them I like to strip the fly along side the head of the fish. They tend to slash their head to the side when feeding. That may just be me but I've had better results with that method versus casting in front of them. I've used 5wt -8wt rods, so it all depends on the size fly you want to throw at them. Ill have some of my gar flies for sale on here soon. If you would like some pics for ideas or to order a few just shoot me a email. The hotter it gets outside the more you see. So when all other fishing slows down during the dog days of summer get out and try your hand at gar. You'll quickly get hooked and find yourself targeting them every chance you get!

Tightlines, DMc






1 comment:

  1. wow fly fishing for gar, that's cool. www.islikely.com is a great weather app. check it out.

    ReplyDelete